Wondering how to stop snoring? Snoring occurs when the air passages are blocked. This obstruction normally takes place when there is congestion caused by cold or over-relaxed tongue and throat muscles.
If snoring ensues recurrently, it can influence the quality of sleep of the people who suffers from this condition as well as their family members.
Additionally, lack of sleep can give rise to exhaustion, bad temper and severe health issues. In case, snoring disturbs the partner’s sleep, it can lead to problems in relationship. Therefore, it becomes very essential to find a solution to the boiling question – how to stop snoring?
To arrive at a resolution it is important to determine the causes. There are several factors that can cause snoring:
- Age: with age the throat narrows down while the tone of the throat muscle decreases.
- Build: enlarged adenoids and physical features that are hereditary induce snoring.
- Sinus: obstacles in the airways that cause difficulty in inhaling, creates a vacuum in the throat and causes snoring.
- Weight: accumulated fats around the neck give rise to snoring.
- Alcohol-Smoke-Medicines: consuming alcohol, smoking and few medicines adds to muscle contraction which in turn forces snoring.
- Posture: sleeping flat on the back causes the throat muscles to loosen up and obstruct the airways.
There are various successful tips, home remedies, exercises and medical treatments that aid to cure snoring.
Valuable Tips that Answers the Query – How to Stop Snoring?
The sleeping mattress needs to be flat and firm, as it supports the neck muscles and encourages free flow of air. This is good method to avert snoring.
Take additional pillows so that the head remains up while the body is at a lower position. This is one of the best treatments for snoring.
If neck region gains weight, it compresses the internal width of the throat and triggers snoring. So, one should exercise regularly to prevent buildup of body fats and to boost overall health.
Alcohol condenses the resting tone of the throat muscles and makes one snore hence one should avoid consuming alcohol, especially at night.
Smoking causes respiratory issues as well as congestion of lungs and nasal which is directly related to snoring. Therefore, to quit the habit of smoking becomes a matter of priority.
Few medicines like the sleeping pills relax the tongue muscles which drop back into the airway and cause snores. One needs to seek medical help to come up with an alternate treatment for insomnia to prevent this problem.
If the nose is clogged due to cold, a hot water shower before sleep can open the nasal channels. Nasal strips may also do the trick.
Proper breathing methods lessen the likelihood of snoring. Yoga can prove to be useful in this instance.
Dirt collects on the pillows which can cause allergic effect and elevate snoring. One needs to change them regularly and also keep them clean to eliminate the allergens.
Home Remedies on How to Stop Snoring:
Consuming a mixture of honey and ginger before going to bed lubricates the throat muscles. This is a useful remedy.
Inhaling vapor of hot water diluted with peppermint oil or eucalyptus oil drops cures snoring.
Most dairy products, nuts, eggs and bananas contain tryptophan, which promotes sound sleep and helps to evade snoring.
Exercise on How to Stop Snoring:
- Open the mouth as wide as possible and close it. Repeat it 7-10 times.
- Hold a pen or stick between the teeth firmly for 3-5 minutes but, without causing any harm.
- Clear the airways by practicing vocal exercises. Sing at the top of the voice while holding each syllable for 3 seconds. Repeat this 5 times. This technique provides excellent workout for the neck and the throat muscles without spraining them.
- One needs to perform these exercises for 2-4 weeks in order to notice the improvement.
How to Stop Snoring? Is Medical Technology the Solution?
If the natural and home remedies do not help then it would be advisable to consult an otolaryngologist (ENT).
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is a method that is employed to keep the airways unblocked during sleep. It is a device that blows pressurized air into a mask that covers the nose or face.
Dental equipment acts like a mouth guard. They open the airway by bringing the tongue forward during sleep. One needs to see a dentist to adopt this method of treatment to stop snoring. Read more on “Top 3 Anti Snoring Mouthpieces 2015“.
Conventional surgeries like Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, adenoidectomy, Thermal Ablation Palatoplasty, and tonsillectomy expands the diameter of the airway by surgically treating abnormalities.
Laser based Uvulopalatoplasty and Somnoplasty are employed to eliminate fractions of the soft palate to decrease snoring via lasers or radio-frequency signals.
The Pillar method uses tiny plastic implants that are placed into the soft palate. Tissues grow surrounding the implants which stiffens the palate and prevents vibrations that cause snoring.
All these procedures are effective in curing snoring. However, the answer to the question, “how to stop snoring” can be obtained once the remedy that works best to prevent snoring for each person is established. It can not only significantly enhance sleep but also improve health and relationships.